Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Home Stretch

Yes, it's only April 20th, but in school news, the year is starting to wind down.  You see between final exams, Memorial Day, state testing and Easter break, teachers need to start planing the endgame for their classes. 

I always find this time of year a bit difficult.  With all the interruptions, it is hard to gauge exactly how much time you have left.  Despite how some teachers feel, I don't worry at all if I don't get to everything in my plans.  I get excited at the prospect of getting done earlier than usual, in which case, I have so many things I would love to try as end of the year projects.

Some of these ideas came from my two graduate courses.  Despite being a technology teacher, I had never created a website before.  My first foray into it went very well and the ease of use was liberating.  I would love to have my students make their own websites in my Multimedia class to show off their body of work in the class, a sort of electronic portfolio.

I have also created my first digital story, and while I loved it, I feel this might be very time consuming for my classes.  In addition, the technology is quite detailed to incorporate what I feel are needed elements such as music video.

Other ideas I have are to have students use the online site toondoo.com to create online comic books.  I have also looked into a 3D animation program called Alice, which enables students to dabble in computer programming, without having to know how to code.

The main issue is time, but isn't it always that?  If I don't get to these things, I hope I take the time over the summer to work on these unique projects.  I always have good intentions, but when summer rolls around, sometimes all we need as teachers is to recharge and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment